Error on launching Tomcat from Eclipse in Fedora 9

Last few days I was doing some self learning on Servlets and JSP.  After doing few examples using Text Editor, I wanted to see how to create dynamic website using Eclipse; my favourite IDE. I followed the instructions given in a article in IBM site. But when I try to start the Tomcat server from Eclipse I got an strange error.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory



I didn't have a clue about this error. As usual Google save my day. I found this post regarding the same error by Greg Johnson.

In order to solve this problem you have to download the Apache commons 1.1.1 and copy commons-logging-api-1.1.1.jar to /usr/share/tomcat/bin folder.  After copping that jar I was able to start Tomcat from Eclipse without any issue.

Thanks Greg, you save my day :)
 

Reader Comments