Changing System Time in Xen VM

Yesterday I wanted to change the system time in one of our test servers. Server was a Xen VM running redhat linux.  I used date --set="20 Dec 2012 00:30:00" command, but when I checked the date again it showed the previous date not the date I've set using date command. 

After doing some searching I found out that by default VM clock is synchronized with its host Xen Server; so changing date is not possible. We need to disable this time synchronization before updating date in the VM. To do that I had to execute following command in VM linux console.
/sbin/sysctl -e xen.independent_wallclock=1

After that I was able to change the system time using date command.

 

Reader Comments



Tribune to Heros

Tribune to Heros
We will never forget the sacrifices you made to protect our country....

Subscribe


Get Google Toolbar Button

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner